Monday 12 September 2016

Dear (non) employer


Having recently applied and been interviewed for the position as Receptionist/ Assistant I feel that it is appropriate to offer you some feedback following the process.

I liked the fact that you interview face to face. The seemingly more popular phone interview is admittedly time saving but it gives a very limited view of a candidate and tends to reduce the flow of conversation, diminishing the amount of information available to both interviewer and interviewee. I have also noticed that recruiters don't always stick to agreed times for a phone interview, making it very difficult for a candidate to develop and maintain the head space necessary to undertake an interview.

You stated that I was unsuccessful in my application for the position because another applicant had skills I don't have, you also thought that I would be unable to handle the demands of the job, given that I told you I have a neurological disorder. Failing to name the skills that I don't have makes your reasoning look a little weak and deciding that I would be unable to handle the job simply because my physical capabilities are different to those of most people diminishes everything that I am and makes me into a diagnosis. Like most people, I have some pride and like to do well at whatever I involve myself in, I would never apply for something that I felt incapable of doing. When I told you about my disorder I was challenging you to see possibility and to acknowledge the attributes I could bring to the role, I was not telling you that I am unenthusiastic, unskilled or any kind of a liability. I suspect that you lack clarity on the attributes needed for the position. If your regular employee, say, broke their ankle in a skiing accident, would they be able to do the job from their chair? What is really required of a receptionist/ assistant? and what does it tell you that the President of the United States has a hearing impaired receptionist?

I am very aware that hiring and firing decisions are commonly based on all kinds of considerations and that as the business owner you have the right to choose whoever you want for whatever reason you want. If you can honestly say that you took the high road in this case, then I wish you the best. 

Kylie 




12 comments:

  1. Sigh.
    And hiss and spit.
    The positive? If that is their attitude (and I doubt their stated reasons for not employing you) it doesn't sound as if it would be a good place to work.
    Much better luck next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks EC.

    The right thing will come along some time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack. Better luck next time.
    I once didn't get an interview because my qualifications suggested that I would be bored within minutes.... but the money would have been helpful.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is no rhyme nor reason to the hiring process, but I am pretty sure if I were younger, and still at my fighting weight I would be considered much more of an asset than I currently am. Because we all know young and svelte = best applicant.

    Hoping only good things for the next interview!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would rather not write my reaction to the interviewer.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Scarlet,
    Thats a common story and very silly reasoning.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anne,
    I'm sure my age counts against me as well. At 45 I'm obviously past it.

    Thanks for the well wishes, something will come up

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rummuser,

    He tried so hard to be cool but also in charge.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Flagrant bias there, by the look of it. As you say, you have to wonder what these non-existent skills consist of, and why they think your neurological disorder would prevent you doing the job properly. I do suspect the successful candidate was young and "attractive". Was your interviewer a seedy middle-aged male, by any chance?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Damn that sucks, I'm sorry, but if that is their attitude it probably wasn't the right job for you anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nick,
    The interviewer was probably mid thirties, white, male, athletic.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LL cool Joe,
    You are right, of course but if people are never challenged to think past their biases they probably never will

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.