Friday 12 August 2016

Snugglecoats



When Elephants Child posted today with the idea of sharing a good news story, I realised that I see plenty of great stories in my internet wanderings, the challenge is to remember what they all are! Here are some I ran across just today. I could post many more if I wanted to flood you with stories about dogs. :)

The first great story is about a woman who has  a clever idea to encourage the adoption of shelter dogs. "Frida, Costela, Mel and Isabelle — rescued from slums and abandoned lots around Sao Paulo were trained to retrieve balls for tennis players in an exhibition match during the Brazil Open. Organiser Marli Scaramella said she wanted to show that rescue dogs are just as trainable as any other dog."

In this story an animal lover is collecting old fur clothing and redistributing it to animal care groups. It enriches the lives of the animals, providing a more natural, familiar and comforting bedding than towels or blankets.

This story from the Netherlands where a retirement home gives free lodging to students in return for some social time with the old folks.


You might have seen this one, A big surprise, it was viral last week. It's not a hugely important thing for anyone but the family involved but oh so beautiful.

14 comments:

  1. There is happy leakage from my eyes this morning. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the story about the young people in the retirement home. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the dogs that retrieve tennis balls in action. Very impressive.

    I've heard of a similar scheme where students spend time with the elderly in return for lodging. It's a great idea. People stuck indoors because they can't walk far must welcome social contact of any kind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a great post. I guess we just need to hunt for the truly great stories instead of relying on the gloom and doom prophets of media.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have read all the articles that you have given links to and yes, they are amazing stories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I must be reading the wrong news and media sites Kylie for i rarely come across stories that tell us of human value.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LL Cool Joe,
    It's a real win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nick,
    Mobility issues are only one component of the loneliness that is so prevalent in many societies. I was watching a BBC doco about it just last week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anne,
    I'm pleased you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Rummuser,
    I'm sure there are many good people doing many good things but for some reason news agencies only cover the grim events

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mark,
    I have to admit that I hadn't realised how many of my good stories were related to dogs!

    Do you know the site called Upworthy? there is some great stuff on there

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snow,
    They really are!
    always good to see you here

    ReplyDelete

go on, leave a comment or four.